If you were charged with a traffic violation, including driving under the influence (DUI), the best time to contact a criminal defense attorney is now. Early intervention by an experienced lawyer can help improve your chances of reducing the charge and minimizing potential consequences.
While they may sound identical, a DUI and a DWI are classified as separate crimes. DUI (driving under the influence) denotes a lesser degree of impairment compared to a DWI (driving while intoxicated), which charges for both drinking and driving.
Virginia Traffic Ticket Lawyers:
A single traffic ticket can cost upward of $3000 in total fines and court costs. It is in your best interest to seek the counsel of an experienced defense attorney. Our lawyers have represented clients facing a wide range of traffic violation offenses, including speeding, reckless driving and more. We know how to defend your charges and reduce the cost and consequences of a traffic violation conviction.
Our fees for traffic violation defense range from $500-$1,500. We believe that hiring our law firm is a much better use of your money than paying the court. Our experience can make the difference in achieving your desired result.
Aggressive Drunk Driving Defense:
A DUI can cost you hundreds of dollars in fines, loss of your driver’s license, and possible time in jail. Do not risk facing these charges alone, Hire a skilled attorney to help with your defense. We know how to attack the evidence against you and find other opportunities to reduce your charge. A DUI conviction can negatively affect all aspects of your life. We are here to help you avoid the impact as much as possible.
We handle cases involving:
- First-time DUI charge
- Second or third DUI charges
- Underage DUI
- Negligent homicide
An Experienced and Knowledgeable DUI Lawyer to Fight For You:
Even for a first DWI conviction, the penalties and fines can be substantial, with costs easily exceeding $3,500 between the fines, court costs, and payments to the Virginia Alcohol Safety Awareness Program. Then there is the mandatory driver’s license revocation for one year, and the prospect of tripled auto insurance premiums under the SR-22 driver risk category. If you happened to provide a breathalyzer sample indicating a blood alcohol concentration .15 percent or higher, you are also looking at mandatory jail time.
In general, however, although each case and each drunk driving defense is different, the following penalties apply for DUI convictions in the state of Virginia:
- First DUI: a $250 minimum fine; a one year revocation of your driver’s license
- Second DUI: a $500 minimum fine; the revocation of your driver’s license for three years; a possible jail sentence of up to one year. If this is your second DUI within 5 years of your first conviction, you will receive a mandatory 20 days in jail. If this is your second DUI conviction within 10 years of your first, you will receive a minimum 10-day jail sentence.
- Third DUI: a $1,000 minimum fine; the mandatory revocation of your driver’s license for an indefinite period of time; prosecution as a Class 6 felony. If you are convicted for a third DUI within 5 years of your first, you must serve a 6 month, mandatory minimum jail sentence. If convicted within 10 years of your first DUI, you must serve a 90-day mandatory minimum jail sentence.
- Fourth DUI: a 1 year mandatory minimum jail sentence
Additionally, now under Virginia state law, a first time DUI offender may be ordered to install and ignition interlock device on his or her car. If ordered to do so, you must shoulder the cost of the ignition interlock device and comply with all requirements to ensure it is calibrated and working accurately.
In Virginia, someone under the age of 21 needs only to have a .02 percent blood alcohol content to be charged with driving under the influence (DUI). Other penalties include driver’s license suspension for one year, community service and a mandatory minimum fine. Additionally, a conviction may prevent being accepted into a university or graduate program.
At Cravens and Noll, we provide aggressive representation to clients facing DUI charges as a minor. Our Richmond underage DUI defense attorneys concentrate on minimizing the impact of a DUI charge as much as possible.